“No one can receive anything unless it has been given to him from heaven. John 3:27
I’ve had this verse on my fridge for weeks. WEEKS. It reminds me that my day is not all about me. My children’s obedience is not about me. My housework is not about me. Its purpose of being on the fridge is to bring me back to the truth that God is over all….not me.
and sometimes the reminder works! Sometimes….
The other morning, I sat with Jesus for over an hour praying, reading, and reflecting on that verse. I even prayed specifically that I would have an opportunity that day to apply the truth to receive whatever God gives me for the day.
But the thing was, I was a little grouchy on this particular day. I want to say spending time with Jesus completely changed my grouchiness, but it didn’t. My emotions were a bit out of control, and though I was fighting to keep them under wraps, on the inside, I was just grouchy. Plus, it was my husband’s day off. My kids didn’t sleep in. And my personal space just seemed to keep getting invaded.
Just a couple hours into the day, the Lord gave me the opportunity to remember my morning prayer.
In my eyes, everything that morning had gone wrong. Then, when I got to the gym, not only had I read the workout wrong and didn’t have the right gear with me, it was a partner workout and I was without a partner. Sounds silly right? Who cares? But on that particular morning, the lie of “see, nothing goes right for you” just started overwhelming me. However, as I finished that first round of the workout and threw a weighted vest on to go for the run, the Lord stopped me in my tracks and said, “A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven.”
Suddenly, I saw very clearly this opportunity I had for the next 31 minutes to be completely by myself.
I didn’t have a partner waiting for me. There wasn’t a person I had to talk to. There was no one with any expectations of me. What felt like a disappointment suddenly was revealed as a perfect gift of alone time. The one thing I was unable to plan into my day but desperately needed I almost overlooked when God graciously gave it to me.
Maybe you can relate? If so, here are three ways to put your focus back on God today as you remind yourself “a person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven”.
- Decide ONE thing you need today. Is it time alone? Time with people? Emotional stability? A nap? Deep Conversation? Just pick one and ask God to open your eyes to see how He responds to your need. Then look for his response. Often we tell God what we need, but we only see one way that He can respond. God is a creative God though. He can meet your need in a variety of ways so intentionally look for His creative response.
- Feeling creative? Go into Canva and create a phone lock screen with John 3:37. I’ve found if you use an Instagram Story template it will fit your lock screen. Then, every time you get overwhelmed, stop at a red light, go to the bathroom, or feel frustrated, open your phone and meditate on this verse. Then ask God to help you see what He is giving you in that moment.
- Take a breather and go for a walk or simply sit outside. Intentionally stop the rollercoaster of your day for a few brief moments and soak in the presence of God. He is with you and will never leave you. Take some time today to remind yourself of this truth. Removing yourself from the demands of your moments will help.
Whatever you choose to do, remember God is in control AND He loves you. Look to Him to give you what you need today.
You Might Also Enjoy:
- Christian Parenting: Help for your angry child
- Moral Dilemmas: making decisions when the Bible doesn’t address your situation
- When to Stop Chasing Your Dreams in Order to Let God Reshape Them
Leave a Reply